Thursday, December 15, 2011

everyone is hollow

the other day we were driving around Sandton and Mixfm played "Polly" ... i almost wept. Has it really been so long since this band copped it? I can remember the first time I heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit", driving through Benoni with kiddies in the car. Pulled over to the side of the road (nearly caused a major accident in the process), turned up the radio and sat with my mouth open throughout the entire length of the song. Could not believe what I was hearing. On mainstream radio. What?
Next day, I drove to BMG in Rosebank and demanded to see the label manager for Nirvana; got as much promotional /biographical material that she would give me (bless you, Iris), cd's, photos ... and hurriedly knocked up a half decent tribute/review of Nirvana's Nevermind album. The Star published it a couple of weeks later and I am still proud of the fact that i was the first music journo to do a piece on Kurt in South Africa.

I don't care if you don't agree with the following statement, it's my personal opinion.
NOTHING has come along since Kurt offed himself to top this band. All other 'angst' or ragings put out by bands since those days, are half-hearted, twee, self-conscious, silly, or simply BORING.
There was nothing about Nirvana that was silly or boring. I defy anyone to sleep, slump, nod off or look tired through "Negative Creep"
I cry when i hear any N song - even today (and I'm a granny remember).
Not because i'm a stupid kid who can't believe her idol bought it. No.
I cry because of the way the music industry has been dragged down into a black pit of nothingness, mediocrity or maudlin retrogressive covers by FUCKING ACCOUNTANTS who masquerade as label managers/promoters.
I keep hoping to hear something that will literally stop traffic (the way Nirvana did for me) - but those days are gone.
And please, no attempt at putting Nirv back at number 1 (for some viral publicity stunt), will make up for the fact that this stuff won't happen again. Ever.


Tomorrow's a public holiday here.
Enjoy it. Do your soul a favour and listen to something good.

1 comment:

  1. We feel the same, then. I remember exactly where I was when I heard them for the first time, as well. Like you, when I hear them on the radio it still stops me in my tracks and I realize how much I miss that. There is nothing that will make it 'be' again. They had something that no one else did. They were crunchy and vulnerable and left of center without trying. I only pull out my box set when I know it won't bring me down. Because it still does.

    ReplyDelete