Friday, April 20, 2012

Plague Dogs with Bears

When i read the reports about the Brown Bears that escaped from a 'zoo' in Japan and apparently killed some staff, i couldn't help but recall the premise behind Richard Adams' The Plague Dogs book. I never saw the movie but i did read the book - shortly after reading Watership Down. It wasn't an easy read.

It saddens me to think that some of the Brown Bears that escaped from Hachimantai Bear park have been shot (at the latest news update I read).

I guess I could be considered a Brown Bear activist - you know me, i don't blow my own trumpet - but back in the 80's i was single-handedly responsible for closing down a small zoo in Brakpan - primarily because of the disgusting, cruel and completely sad condition of the Brown Bear 'enclosure'. Where those particular bears are today, though, remains a mystery to me. Maybe i should try and find out?

No comments:

Post a Comment