Thursday, April 4, 2013

Spring sprung, jumped into a frozen pond and drowned.

Yesterday I took the kiddies to Norwich Castle Museum (posted tons of photos etc. on the Country Life blog) ... the weather started out bitterly cold but then kinda warmed up later on in the day and we actually had a bit of sunshine.
Today has started off with a icelandic gail force wind, sleet, snow, grey sky, clouds ... lovely Spring day here in Norfolk ... brrr!
Even I am getting somewhat sick of the cold weather - it would be nice to be able to walk out of the house without having to wrap up like I'm going on an Antarctic expedition.  

I'm sort of getting into a routine with regards the freelance work, able to take on about an hour's worth of typing each day, which is still peanuts compared to what I am capable of doing.  I mustn't moan though, it beats having to go out and work a 9 to 5 job any day.   Lady of the house seems to be really enjoying her job.  Man of the house never gives any feedback, so as far as we're concerned he could be going out and sitting in a park all day - of course, he's not but he doesn't exactly gush about his job ... well he doesn't speak about his job, forget gushing.   Lady of the house has said that they will be giving me an 'allowance' of sorts for looking after the kiddies, which would not be a bad thing and I can put that towards the SA flight costs later on this year.   We are hoping to start planning a trip to Joburg for December holidays - it will only be a short trip, maybe no longer than a week but it would be so nice to get over there to see everyone.   


Having Skype is a godsend but it doesn't substitute for the actual physical presence, the 'being there' feeling.  I am missing my other family a great deal at the moment.  Sometimes you start to think that you are losing touch, not being there for all the little things that happen on a daily basis.  My family were always really close to each other emotionally (something the psychiatrist who dealt with my daughter's schizophrenia said was a negative thing).  Being apart is good for us, in a sense that we all have to just get on with it but I worry so much about each one of them, even though I know that is futile, it's natural and nothing to be ashamed of or make excuses about.  I feel like I'm 'missing out' ... even though we communicate via Whatsapp (another godsend) throughout the day.  I am constantly sending little videos and photos of us all over here but the lot over there in SA aren't very in your face when it comes to that kind of thing.  


 

1 comment:

  1. Technology is great but it will never take the place of actually being there. And that could be a pro or con, depending on if you truly like them. ;) As far as the weather... ugh.

    ReplyDelete