Friday, January 17, 2014

No, there's 'no' point here.

 I read a comment about keeping a journal that J K Rowling made whilst being interviewed by school children back in 2000 or whenever she began getting uber-popular.  She said that she'd tried to keep journals, managed to keep it up for about two weeks and then chucked it in because ... 'my life is boring'.   She said things like she preferred to write about things that were really interesting and exciting and that it was much more fun to make things up.

For Nanowrimo, the plan I had in mind was just to be able to prove to myself that I could actually write something every day and get to 50,000 words by the end of a given month.  Try it, it's not quite as easy as it sounds.  Well I was successful and I finished the project - mainly because I wrote about my remembrances and didn't have to come up with a plot, premise, character development, tension, etc. etc. And yeah, I reckon most of it was drop-dead anaesthetically mind-numbingly BORING as all hell but I got past 50,000 words and tried to actually write the stuff down in writerly fashion, to make my sad little life more exciting than it actually was/is.

I thought I'd lost the first draft of a story that I started before we left South Africa, which I'd set in Thurso (the northernmost town in Scotland, if you're been paying attention to previous posts on this subject).   Anyhoo, I found it yesterday and started reading it - I had gotten to 32,000 words with this one, so it is pretty much chugging along on it's own steam.  I sort of cringed to myself, when I opened up the file in Word, thinking that I would probably be sick or fall off my chair with boredom by the end of page one - well, wonders will never cease, I was pleasantly surprised!  It's not as bad as I thought it was - so with a ton of editing (changing locale, she means), I've got a passably good romantic-novel-in-the-making. Yes, Rory McCann was the inspiration for the male lead.  (Who else?)

I also started a story yesterday for my 8 going on 18 grand-daughter - it's coming along nicely and again, a certain Scottish gentleman seems to have crept into my psyche because when I read it this morning, it's obvious who I've based the 'fatherly' character in my story on.  Over 6' 6", dark features, gentle, lilting voice ... the only thing I missed out was the kilt.  (But that's bound to creep in somewhere.)

Cue Rory photo bomb ...

Nice legs

Dem peeps


I've decided that once I start getting more regular transcription work, most of my worries regarding life in Ye Olde Norfolk will pretty much disappear. I am getting work in dribs and drabs and keep getting told that it's going to pick up, so just have to be optimistic.  I don't think we're going to get any snow this year - or if it does snow, it will probably do it when I'm in SA on holiday during February.

The weekend is upon us ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment