Wednesday, March 5, 2014

What's going on with GoT?

I'm not sure how other readers of the George RR Martin books (Game of Thrones) are feeling about the massive amounts of changes that have taken place to the TV version of the plot/sub-plots/characters/settings etc. etc.?

We bought the boxed set of Series III last week, to catch up (Yeah, I know Series IV is due for release in April) and as I've read all the books thus far printed by Mr. Martin (as far as Dance with Dragons), it's very frustrating to see just how many changes have and are being made as HBO thump along with the TV adaptations.  Some of the changes are pretty major.   

HBO must have felt it necessary, for copyright purposes, to list the differences between the TV series and the books over here   I'm beginning to wonder why I bothered to buy the books because the TV series I'm watching at the moment, bears scant resemblance to what I've read.  I feel sorry for people who maybe were inspired to get the books, after watching Series I and II on the telly - they must be as confused as all hell by now.   I feel, frankly, a bit cheated.  I was really looking forward to Series III and I can't see any reason at all for spending huge amounts of money in developing long, drawn out scenes between characters that Never Took Place In The Books. 

Yes, I'm fully aware that a certain amount of blunt editing and adaptation has to take place when filming an Epic - especially when the bloody series of books is still not finished. So fine. Edit. Cut away. Chop it up.  But why develope MORE scenes and ADD them to the ongoing saga of the 7 kingdoms?  Why change storylines that were perfectly polished and brilliantly realised in the book? 
I can't understand why, for instance, the TV producers/directors/writers thought it necessary to include scenes that NEVER HAPPENED in the books (and there are so many, I can't list them all here - go to the website and have a read).

 From what I've read on the interweb, Old George seems to be happy, for the most part, with the changes - I suppose he can't really say otherwise, can he?   I'm sure they've compensated him financially and he is probably getting loads of spin off deals resulting from all the plot/character changes.   Believe me, there are so many changes, they could make a TV series about this topic alone and that would also run into several episodes/series!

No comments:

Post a Comment