I am riddled with guilt. There are so many things that I've wanted to 'get my teeth into' in the past ten years or so and most of those projects have fallen by the wayside, mainly because of lack of time to do them in. That is going to change.
I started the skirting around business of writing a book about Allyson and schizophrenia - how it has impacted on me particularly - this has been difficult and not easy to write up. It's nowhere near even a proof read version yet ... but it's getting there. It has to be written, I know that now. Every week, she asks me when she can read it and I have to keep saying, 'Not just yet, Ally'. I've made up my mind now that by the end of February - alright, the 28th February I will have a draft ready to be read by either a family member or my dear friend over there in Kaapstad. I trust his judgement, more than I could trust anyone else's on this topic. I am not a creative writer, I'm an essayist - I used to think that was a bad thing. It's not. So I've gotten over myself on that score.
Draft is an ongoing thing -working on it.
The other side of my life that has been sadly neglected in the past three / ten years has been music - I've scattily listened to things as and when they were flung at me by my friends but I have not been actively searching for new stuff - not like I was when I found Kurt Cobain and Nirvana. I will never forget the first time I heard that band and they are going to be the topic of my first post on my new music blog. Yep, that's right folks. I'm going to be abandoning LAAC for a few months now ... that's what this is all about.
I am not spreading myself thin on the ground anymore, I'm devoting as much time as I possibly can do to :
- Creating and marketing my Art on Wordpress, Facebook, Saatchi Online, Gumtree, EBay, YouTube - just about anywhere I can (this takes time and energy but I'm not complaining)
- I have sold a painting!! on eBay
- Writing up the book so that it's digestable, makes sense and can be proofed by someone competent.
- Once book is proofed - sending extracts to publishers to get 'that book deal'. That's the large scale plan for this year anyway.
- Starting up the music blog - getting noticed, maybe even getting paid (that's how I used to earn my living back in the Nineties, don't see why I can't do it again hey?)
- I have begun that - link
- Trying whenever possible to take a really good photograph of SOMETHING. I've given up hope of ever having the readily available dosh to go out and buy a new DSLR. So in the meantime, I will just have to be content with my tripod and Nikon Coolpix P530 with the fancy long zoom lens to create those funky Bokeh shots.
I pitched a column idea to the Norfolk Evening News and they are INTERESTED! I have to re-submit in March, with a couple more examples of the content and they will definitely consider me. So hold thumbs on that one - it would be completely brilliant if I could get a regular writing stint with them.