Friday, April 8, 2016

the randomness of being ...

Something that has really started to irritate me in recent months is people using the word 'random' as a noun.

"He was just a random"
"They met with some randoms"
"Oh, I don't know, she was just a random."

Please STOP IT!

Yes, okay.
Random is and always was an adjective. 
Although (quick Google) ... them darn internet fundis would have you believe that the word Random, was given noun status somewhere around the fourteenth century and that it came into prominence in popular culture in the Sixties - bollox.  I'm a child of the Sixties and nobody ever used the term, 'random' to describe an unknown person.
Lately, however, it seems everyone from school children to adults use the random word with merry abandonment to form nonsensical meaningless sentences and phrases - it's horrible, please stop.  Oh, I said that already.

Speaking of 'unsubs' ... (cough, splutter - what a leap)
Matthew Gray Gubler is now my favourite Hollywoody type of person.  I do so wish I was forty again, he'd be having all sorts of trouble with me.


1 comment:

  1. We would 'randomly' be fighting over him ( see what I did there 😜)

    ReplyDelete