Friday, September 23, 2016

September 2016, where are we then?

Some astonishing scientific news items have been released into my newsfeed this week. Notably,  Titan, Asian hornets in Britain, Aboriginal Australians and my personal favourite this week ...

Tool using Crows
I have slowly begun to fall head over heels in love with crows ... there are hundreds of thousands of them in Britain, you can watch them at any time of the year and they are amazing creatures.




It's been known for some time that New Caledonian crows (native to the South Pacific) could use tools that they form into hooks to fish for food.   New research has discovered that Hawaii crows also use implements.   What's even more poignant, as far as I'm concerned, is there are only 131 Hawaii crows left alive today (according to the article that I link to in the heading above) and it appears that all are in captive breeding centres or zoos. 

I try not to follow the main news feeds anymore and I've completely given up on so-called 'entertainment' news.    More and more I'm finding that my clicking habits are focusing on science based news artices.   I wonder if other people are doing this as well? 


No comments:

Post a Comment